Monday 25 November 2013

HIKING AT YOSEMITE - Dr. Ron Virmani, M.D. - Personal Experience - Day 1



Day 1: June 19, Sunday:  We flew into either San Francisco or San Jose and rented two cars to drive 4 hours down to YNP.  On the way, we stopped at Washburn and Glacier points.  From these vantage points, we could see the breathtaking panorama of domes, pinnacles and waterfalls.  Dominating all is the Half Dome (8842 feet), the most recognized feature of Yosemite.  At 87 million years old, the granite of this dome is the youngest Plutonic rock in the valley.  I secretly aspired to be on top of it one day. 

We were supposed to stay at tents in White Wolf campground, but heavy snow in last winter had closed Tioga road along with this campground.  We reached our alternate destination, the Curry Camp, in Yosemite valley, as it was getting dark.  I kept rehearsing in my mind what I would do if I came upon a bear!  I could not decide if I should start screaming, play dead or act like if I met my old buddy.  Fortunately, the bear never presented itself to put any of my strategies to test during the trip.  We did see a few deer from time to time. 

We received instructions about how to store food and other scented articles into bear lockers and checked into four two person (unheated) tents.  We used our flashlights to walk to rest rooms in the dark as well as the public shower-house. While the days were hot at 75-80 degrees, nights were cold between 45-50 degrees.   I had a difficult time sleeping on many nights.  

Continued - On Ron Virmani's Personal Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment